Saturday, February 23, 2008

Betty Boop

I'm not ashamed of letting the world know of my infatuation with Betty
Boop. I don't collect toys, magnets, ashtrays or shot glasses with
her face on them... I just have this sincere desire to be inside one
of those old black and white, hand drawn Fleisher cartoons with Cab
Calloway's swing music backing those discreet political commentaries
of the day. The animations of the 20's and 30's had no censoring,
which made them real. Those intricate details and delicate drawings
have been lost in animation through time. Nowadays cartoons are
censored and reality is not. I find that an absurd twist in history.
I once met the granddaughter of Max Fleisher and explained my love for
Betty, which she found weird... I'm still not ashamed of it.
Obviously.

Article written by me, for Philadelphia City Paper 2/20/08

Here's my favorite Betty cartoon that is definitely a must see...

No comments: