Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 12th, 2009 - Masada and The Dead Sea













My Israel trip is almost finished, and it has gone by so fast that I have hardly had time to really take any of it in... Not really sure where I left off, maybe I was about to meet the Israeli soldiers that were to join my trip...? Well they have been traveling with us ever since, and I have really become friends with all ten of them. It is really great to have them around and get a better understanding of Israeli life, but even better to hear their stories about the war going on right now... I have learned so many things about the conflict and it's history along with what feels like every piece of Israeli history ever. The whole trip has been one very concise history bio in the likes of some discovery channel biopic. Today I climbed Masada, swam in the dead sea, rode a camel through the desert, and attempted to ride a donkey, although my feet were hitting the ground. Last night I slept at the Bedouin tents in the middle of the desert. Bedouins are Arabs that live sort of nomadic lives and have absolutely no material belongings other than coffee, tea, and musical instruments, which they live by. The night was a blast, and I played Jewish Geography for hours with the other groups from birthright. So far I have run into four people I know from home in the deserts of Israel. It's a funny feeling when your across the globe and you see someone from another life. I'm leaving for Paris in a couple days with Jackie and although we will surely see the louvre and other areas of interest, my real interests are as follows: drawing in cafes, finding the worlds best falafal, drinking coffee, finally relaxing.

No comments: